Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Blog


I took a taxi into Dublin to Trinity College.   I bought a sweatshirt at the gift shop once I got to my dorm apartment.   There are two small bedrooms that share a common kitchenette and bathroom.   The building must be over 200 years old.   Below is a picture of the front of the school.

I did a guided walking tour of the college and saw the Book of Kells.   This is a 1000 year old book written by monks and is Matthew, Mark, Luke and John done in colored ink and drawings.   The book was housed in the college Old Library which is over 300 years old.   The tour went to the Long Room which was this huge, (yes long) room that housed two open stories of very old books.   The experience reminded me of something out of Harry Potter.   It was amazing and the library held the oldest harp in Ireland.   I expected the harp to be the size you see in an orchestra but instead it was only about 2 feet high.    They had a great gift shop and I thought of Zachariah and how much he loves gift shops.  Of course I can’t help think of Trinity as her name is everywhere I look.   The tour guide wore an academic robe (again a la Harry Potter) while he did the tour.    He said all students had to wear them until the 1970s.   Also learned that if you pass your tests, college is paid by the government and they only have to pay 3000 Euros a year for fees.   Nice. 

I saw Kerry while I was checking in.  She is part of my  Belfast team and my roommate.   In less than an hour we are suppose to have a check-in meeting with all the University of Colorado students.    I could really use a chiropractor right now as sleeping on a plane really hurt my neck.
I think I fried my iphone charger.    It doesn’t seem to be working so have to charge my phone through by computer.    Here are pics of my dorm room, the 2nd being the view from my window:

    

All but one of us made it to the meeting.  Amber was at the airport due to lost luggage.   The meeting was short and sweet and then we went back to the Accommodations office and got our wifi userid and password.   Following that 7 of us went to dinner.    We happen to pick the same restaurant our professor, his wife and son were eating in.    We had a good time getting to know each other better.

Tomorrow is our first day, we have lectures all day.  At this point I’m really glad I got here early and had a chance to get somewhat adjusted to the time change.  Here we are coming back to building 13 to our rooms:

No comments:

Post a Comment